Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Construction!



It's the day before Halloween, and I'm gearing up for my costume! I plan to be Oscar the Grouch, from Sesame Street... because who doesn't love Oscar? Today at the ICN, I worked with another volunteer to construct a raised garden bed. We used old wood from a previous bed, trimming the edges of some of the heavier-weathered pieces. The raised bed will be used to house striped and sugar maples, which are unique in the sense that they can be planted immediately after seed-collection, without any sort of treatment or temperature variation.


Working on the creation of the raised bed was a little thrilling for me, as I got to learn something new about power tools (which is always fun), as well as general construction techniques. After we had the frame completed, we attached a section of old metal fencing to act as a rodent-guard, that will hopefully keep the mice and other furry friends from burrowing under and uprooting the seeds. I'm a little hesitant that the size of the grate won't be small enough to ward off any incoming mice, but it's better than no deterrent at all! Time will tell if planting in the raised bed is successful or not, I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment